CRM Data Migration isn’t always easy. Sometimes it can be a bit like going down a rabbit hole… you never quite know what you’re getting into until you’re in it.
Fortunately, our Salesforce Practice Director, Jay Rivard and Steve Chipman, the President of Lexnet Consulting Group sat down and discussed the ins and outs of data migration. In this podcast, they discuss what goes into a CRM data migration, common issues and how best to prepare for a data migration. They also share some great tips on what it takes to have a successful data migration. Areas of discussion include:
- What are the common data sources?
- Is spreadsheet data “import ready”?
- Should you analyze your data first before importing?
- Analyze your current CRM use case and find out what needs to be replicated in Salesforce
- How to prepare for data migration
- What is a data map and why is it so important?
- Should you use a data migration tool or a hand-crafted migration tool?
- What are some common data import tools?
- How much history should you bring into the new CRM system?
- How to handle pick lists on data migration
- The importance of normalizing the data for a relational database
- How to handle legacy fields
- Should duplicates be merged as part of the migration process?
- How should file attachments be handled?
- How can you preserve your groups/filtered lists from a legacy system?
As Steve concludes, “Data migration is always an adventure.” It may take more time than you expect it will, but if you take the time to properly educate yourself on the data migration process, you will know what you are in for. The devil is in the details for data migration and with a well thought out data migration process, you, too, can be successful.